Click Here to Add a Title
Click Here to Add a Title
Terms and Conditions of HCC online shop and visiting the HCC.
In entering into any transaction using this website you do so on the basis of the following terms and conditions. The terms and conditions of each transaction type are made up of the specific terms relating to the transaction type (for example the “Animal Adoption” terms and conditions) and the Common Terms. Please note that more than one set of specific terms may apply to a single transaction (for example where you buy e-tickets and buy an Animal Adoption) and where this is the case you will be entering into a distinct contract for each transaction type.
In purchasing e-tickets for entry into the HCC you enter into an agreement with the the HCC, on these e-ticket specific terms that incorporate the “Common Terms” on this website applicable to all transactions.
Classes of Ticket Holders
For the purpose of e-ticket sales the following definitions apply:
- An Adult is a person aged from 14 years old to 59 years old (inclusive)
- A Child is a person aged from 3 years old to 13 years old (inclusive) Children will not be admitted without an adult.
- An Infant is a person less than 3 years old
- A Senior is a person aged 60 years or more
- A Student means an Adult or Senior who holds a valid NUS card
- A Concession means a Disabled Person, Senior or Student
Issue of e-tickets
When your booking has been confirmed your tickets will be dispatched via e-mail to the e-mail address you specified. It is your responsibility to check prior to purchase that the information you have supplied to us in respect of your e-ticket requirements is accurate. We are only responsible for issuing e-tickets in accordance with the information you provide. Please also allow at least 24 hours for your tickets to be emailed to you.
Ticket Purchase and Validity
On arrival at the HCC, the following will be required in order to validate an e-ticket purchased through this website:
- Appropriate proof of entitlement to any discounted ticket rate claimed (eg. NUS card) for each person to be admitted under the ticket
- A legible print-out of your e-ticket to be scanned.
- The HCC reserves the right to charge the normal entry rates to any person not able to validate their e-ticket in the above manner.
- Please note that all ticket prices are subject to change without prior notice and can be vary through different sales channels (e.g. website and at the gate)
- Any additional persons wishing to enter with an e-ticket holder will be required to pay the normal Attraction entry rates.
Promotions, Offers and Pricing
- Third-party promotions - Please read terms and conditions provided by the third party supplier for any promotions or discounts before purchasing tickets online.
- Many promotions are only redeemable at the gate and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.
- Please check voucher terms and conditions for validity.
- The HCC reserves the right to decline any promotional voucher.
- The HCC reserves the right to change the pricing or sale it's retail items, animal experiences, animal adoptions and admission at any point without prior notice.
After School Late Rates Offer
The after 'school late rates' are available each weekday from 3.30pm during term time only. This does not include bank holidays (General admission applies).
We reserve the right to end this offer whenever we feel appropriate without advance warning.
No e-ticket may be resold without the prior written consent of the HCC. If any person attempts to enter the HCC with an e-ticket that has been resold without the HCC'S written consent, the HCC may refuse entry and no compensation is payable to that person by the HCC.
Access to the Zoo
- A Child or Infant must be accompanied by an Adult.
- The last admission to the zoo is 30 minutes prior to the advertised closing time of the HCC.
- Re-entry to the HCC is not permitted unless you have had your hand stamped.
- The HCC reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse entry into or remove from the HCC, any person.
- This includes but is not limited to a person who:
- has behaved in a manner which, in the opinion of the HCC has, or is likely to, adversely affect the animals at the HCC or the safety or enjoyment of other visitors
- has used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or in any way provokes or behaves in a manner which may provoke a breach of the peace or may disturb animals
- is or appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- To prevent offensive weapons or dangerous articles from being taken into the HCC, visitors are admitted subject to a condition that, if requested to do so, they will allow themselves and/or their belongings to be searched by HCC staff.
It is prohibited to take into the HCC:
- Any weapons, fireworks, smoke bombs, glass bottles, blades, flammable liquids or other articles that may cause injury
- Skateboards, rollerblades, rollerskates, bikes and other forms of personal transport
- Balls, frisbees, balloons or any other similar item
- Pets or animals of any natureVisitors to the HCC should:
- Keep their voices and mobile telephone volumes low
- Not attempt to feed the animals or enter animal enclosures
- Not tap on glass or put any body part through railings or fencing
- Not film or take photographs of the Attraction for public broadcast, commercial purpose or student projects Unless authorisation has first been obtained from the HCC management.
- Not throw any article which could cause injury or annoyance to visitors or animals
- We operate a no smoking policy within the zoo.
- There are no facilities for the storage of luggage at the HCC. Buggies and pushchairs are left unattended at their owner’s risk and any containers left unattended may be removed for security reasons. The HCC accepts no responsibility for damage to or loss of personal property brought into the HCC.
- Guide dogs are not permitted in the HCC as we are subject to the EU BALAI Directve.
Animals on show
The HCC cannot guarantee that all animals will be on show at the Zoos throughout the day. For various reasons, including animal welfare, certain animals may be off show to the public without prior notice.
The HCC Complaint Policy
The HCC is committed to providing a high quality level of customer service to our visitors, members and supporters. We invite feedback because it enables us to ensure the continuous improvement of the services and facilities we provide.
We want to make sure that your engagement with the HCC is memorable and enjoyable for all the right reasons, however we understand that sometimes things can go wrong and you find yourself needing to contact us. In these situations we promise that we will:
- Treat any comments/feedback seriously
- Try to resolve any problems promptly, in no longer than 10 working days (should we require longer we will keep you informed at all times as to the progress of your complaint)
- Utilise any feedback/comments where appropriate to make recommendations for change in order to improve our visitor experience
- What do to if you have a complaint
- The sooner you can get in touch with us, the sooner we’ll be able to help you. Most complaints can be resolved quickly by speaking to one of our members of staff. If they are not the right person for you to speak with they will be able to contact the relevant person for you.
- If you are unable to make a complaint at the time of the issue occurring, please contact us as soon as possible by one of the following means:
- By telephone on 01732823996
- We will aim to help you there and then over the telephone, however there may be times when we need do more research into your complaint, or to find out some more information for you. In these circumstances you will be kept informed as to the progress of your complaint and we will aim to resolve it within 10 working days
- By email at [email protected]
- We aim to respond to email within 3 working days, however if your complaint requires more time to research we will let you know. In these circumstances we will keep you informed as to the progress of your complaint and would aim to resolve it within 10 working days
- By writing to us Hemsley Conservation Centre, Crabtree Close, Fairseat, Kent, TN157JL. We aim to respond within 10 working days from receipt of the letter. If we require longer we will contact you to let you know when you can expect a response.
- What if the complaint is not resolved?
- If you are unhappy with our response then please get back in touch with us within 14 days by writing to the address above. Your complaint will be reviewed and a director will respond to you in writing within 10 working days.
In making a donation (including purchasing an Animal Adoption, Membership or e-ticket) through this website you are donating, unless otherwise stated, to the HCC.
- In purchasing any membership you enter into an agreement with the Hemsley Conservation Centre, on these membership specific terms that incorporate the “Common Terms” on this website applicable to all transactions.
- Once a membership has been purchased, the membership is non-refundable unless due to exceptional circumstances. This is at the HCCs discretion.
- The HCC reserves the right to change these benefits at any time and without prior notice
- Standard Membership is based on a standard 6-month or 12-month contract and starts on the date of purchase unless agreed otherwise by the HCC e.g. for gift memberships
- Membership is for use by the named holder only, and is not transferable under any circumstances. Any misuse of a membership card will result in it being confiscated with no refund. The card cannot be given away, sold or transferred. Photocopies of a Membership cards are not accepted.
- The HCC membership card holders are entitled to entry to the HCC during normal opening hours only. NB. Last entry is 30 minutes before the advertised closing time.
- Membership cards are not valid after their expiry date and remain the property of the HCC at all times.
- Admission to the HCC will not be granted under any circumstances without the production of a valid membership card. If you do not have your card with you on the day of admission, the current full admission charge must be paid which is not refundable.
- For family/joint membership packages, adults and children added to a family/joint membership package must be living at the same address and proof may be required. Each member within the family group will be issued with their own card and this must be produced and scanned upon each visit.
- Children under the age of 3 are free to enter, however they are not entitled to the benefits associated with membership. From the age of 3, children will require their own paid membership.
- A membership pass may not be valid for entry on certain special events in the HCC calendar (e.g. BBQ Evenings) and this will be advertised as such. There will be an additional fee payable for member entry to such events.
- The Membership card is not a credit card, charge card or cheque guarantee card.
- An adult must accompany children 14 years old or younger.
- Membership does not constitute a full paying adult/child, therefore cannot be used in conjunction with any 'buy one, get one free' offers
- An administration charge of £5 will be made for lost or replacement membership photo cards should you require one. Please call the team prior to your visit so we can take payment and provide you with a temporary pass.
- Adult disabled visitors may purchase a concession membership which allows them to bring a free carer into the HCC. Child disabled visitors may purchase a child disabled membership, which allows them to bring a free carer into the HCC,
- We reserve the right to refuse entry and/or cancel the membership without refund. In particular if the card holder, or anyone accessing our facilities by virtue of a membership, behaves in a threatening or abusive way to our staff, contractors or the animal collection, or breaches the terms and conditions relating to access to our facilities membership will be cancelled.
- The HCC has the right to reject applications for membership or renewal
- In the future, to enable the HCC to provide standard membership benefits, such as Zoo News magazines, members' details are passed to carefully selected and audited suppliers for processing purposes only.
- Entrance to the HCC property remains subject to all other standard terms and conditions of entry.
- All events are subject to availability. Membership does not guarantee availability to HCC Events – applications are to be made on an event by event basis.
- Membership benefits and prices may be subject to change at any time. No refunds can be made.
- Unless otherwise advised, special offers including joining offers are only available once to each member of the HCC. Each offer will also be subject to additional Terms and Conditions.
- In the event that a payment is rejected by any bank or credit card company then the membership will be suspended until valid payment of the membership fee (and at the HCC's discretion, payment of any additional costs incurred by the HCC because of the rejection of the payment) is received by the HCC. If valid payment is not received then membership will be terminated. Any such termination may be back dated to the date when the rejected payment fell due.
- The HCC reserves the right to change opening and closing times of the zoo without prior notice. The HCC reserves the right to close or remove some exhibits or areas within the zoo partly, entirely or at certain times of the year for various reasons including, but not limited to, special events and refurbishment.
- Membership cannot be cancelled during a period which has already been paid for. Membership will automatically terminate at the end of the period you have paid for if payment is not received for the next period.
- Standard HCC terms and conditions apply to all members.
- Concessions apply to senior citizens (60 years and over), students (full-time) and people with disabilities after providing proof.
- 10% off selected events and all merchandise. Events with 10% off for members will be advertised.
- With Animal Experiences which include 6 months membership, 6 month membership begins from the day of the experience - one six month membership will be given to the person doing the experience and not per experience.
- This agreement does not affect your statutory rights.
- In purchasing an adoption of an animal (an “Animal Adoption”) at the HCC you enter into an agreement with the Hemsley Conservation Centre on these adoption specific terms that incorporate the “Common Terms” on this website applicable to all transactions.
- Each Animal Adoption includes the benefits as stated on the Animal Adoption web page at the time of making your purchase only. The HCC reserves the right to change these benefits at any time and without prior notice.
- An Animal Adoption may only be in the name and email address of an individual as indicated at the time of application. The adoptions are non-transferable once redeemed.
- An Animal Adoption is for a named individual animal unless specified in advance by the HCC, which will usually be for limited promotional purposes. Adoption does not imply ownership nor does it create any liabilities in respect of an animal. Adoptions are not exclusive and other people can also adopt the same named animals which feature in the Adoption scheme.
- In the event of the named animal or particular species of the Animal Adoption ceasing to be on display at the zoo due to death or relocation to another collection, we will endeavour to find an alternative animal which will be offered for the remainder of the Animal Adoption period. If the same species can not be offered then we will offer an alternative species. Unfortunately the HCC cannot offer a refund in such circumstances. The HCC endeavours to ensure that all animals on the adoption scheme are on-show each day, but due to unforeseen circumstances this is not always possible. The HCC will be attempt to notify all adopters via the email updates, and also update their animal's personalised web page with information. Please visit their web page before visiting to check for any updates.
- Any Animal Adoptions that are purchased to be used as company benefits or incentives, competition prizes, or any other promotional, fundraising or public relations activity are subject to an additional surcharge. Please contact [email protected] for further details. The HCC reserves the right to refuse such applications and neither can we offer exclusivity. You warrant that in entering into a transaction for an Animal Adoption you are not an excluded organisation.
- The HCC reserves the right to refuse applications from individuals or organisations should it suspect that there would or could be a conflict of interest with its mission should the Animal Adoption go ahead.
- Any complimentary e-tickets issued in conjunction with an Animal Adoption entitle the bearer entrance to the zoo.
- Adoption e-tickets are valid for use only by the adopter and their family. They are only valid on the date, chosen by the user when they redeemed it and as specified on the relevant ticket, and are not replaceable or exchangeable if lost or stolen. These tickets are only valid for standard centre opening hours and are not valid for entry into special events i.e. BBQ Evenings
- Entrance to the HCC to see a species that is the subject of an Animal Adoption does not guarantee that any particular species or animal will be on public display at that time.
- Entrance to the HCC in conjunction with an Animal Adoption remains subject to all other HCC standard terms and conditions of entry.
- Unless otherwise stated an Animal Adoption runs for a period of 12 months from the date that it was purchased, unless stated as a gift, at which point a date needs to be provided to the HCC.
- Adoptions are non-refundable, unless due to exceptional circumstances. This is at the HCC's discretion. The HCC reserves the right to change the price of animal adoptions at any time, and the difference in price will not be refunded.
HCC Animal Experiences
- These terms apply to Keeper for a Day (adult & junior), and all animal encounters and experiences.
- The HCC reserves the right to alter the experience on any given day due to animal welfare, health issues, staff shortages, bad weather or changes to the zoo’s collections, but will ensure that if this is the case, then the activity will be replaced with another similar task, or be arranged for another date. The HCC endeavours to keep such changes to a minimum. Over the course of time, sometimes activities have to be changed and therefore may be different to what was advertised at the time of purchasing.
- The HCC reserves the right to change or cancel any dates on any of the above experiences for reasons such as the minimum number of participants has not been reached, extreme bad weather, staff shortages, animal welfare issues or force majeure. The HCC will endeavour to notify you as soon as possible. Regrettably, the HCC cannot cover travel, accommodation or any other related costs if it is forced to cancel a date.
- When the duration of the experience is mentioned on our website, marketing material or by a member of our staff this is an approximate guide.
- Open-ended vouchers are available on the following experiences; Keeper for a Day (adult and Junior), and all animal encounters and experiences. Unless otherwise stated, vouchers for are valid for one year from date of purchase. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure a date is booked and completed before expiry. All of our experiences are very popular so we recommend booking a date in advance to avoid disappointment, on some occasions there can be an incredibly long wait. The validity of an open-ended voucher can be extended but charges will apply. Please email [email protected] for more details. The HCC is not responsible for unauthorised use of your voucher.
- Once a date has been booked for all experiences, a full refund or date change will be made as long as it is a minimum of 2 months before the date of the experience. After this time, only exceptional circumstances will be considered for date changes, extensions or refunds. All refunds are made to the card that the experience was purchased with. The participant’s name can be exchanged providing the HCC is given a minimum of seven days’ notice. If the person who arrives does not match our records they will not be allowed admittance onto the experience.
- For a full refund an exceptional circumstance is illness/injury, or bereavement. For changing the date, an exceptional circumstance is the same as above plus jury service, mechanical breakdown and severe travel delays. The HCC will require proof of any exceptional circumstance. Work commitments or holidays/trips away from home are not deemed to be exceptional circumstances. Each application will be considered individually. Once a date has been changed due to exceptional circumstances, we are unable to reschedule it again for any reason.
- If you forget about your experience or do not show up for your allocated date and time for any reason other than those deemed as and exceptional circumstance, there will be a £25 re-booking fee per person to change the date to another. (This date must be within the allotted 12 months from date of purchase). The re-booking fee applies to tickets and vouchers booked through third party companies and organisations too.
- The HCC reserves the right to cancel your experience should you arrive more than 15 minutes late. The experience will need to be re-booked for another day subject to the re-booking fee.
- The HCC will allocate places on a first come, first served basis. Please do not assume your experience is booked until you have received your booking confirmation email or letter, this is required for admittance on the day. You should not make any travel or accommodation arrangements in connection with the experience or book spectator tickets until you have received your booking confirmation by email or by post.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers are advised to not take part in any animal experiences. In this instance only, the HCC will process a full refund or extend the voucher at no charge until 6 months after the date of the birth.
- Any experiences that are purchased to be used as company benefits or incentives, competition prizes, or any other promotional or public relations activity are subject to an additional surcharge. Please contact [email protected] for further details.
- Standard terms and conditions of entry into the zoo apply for all participants on our experiences. The HCC reserves the right to ask any participant to leave the site should they behave in an inappropriate or unsafe manner.
- All experiences have a health and safety briefing at the beginning of the session. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure they arrive on time. It is essential that all participants attend. Please allow plenty of time to travel to the experience.
- Whilst every effort will be made to accommodate those with a disability or learning difficulty, due to practicality this cannot always be achieved; please contact the HCC on [email protected] for advice before purchasing any of our experiences.
- Participants must be aged 15 years or over for the adult keeper for a day experience. On the junior keeper for a day experience, participants must be 5-14 years old, plus an accompanying adult over 18 years old who must be present throughout the whole experience (subject to normal entry price to the HCC). Participants will need a reasonable level of fitness to take part in the activities. Once a date has been booked, the experience is non-refundable if it has to be cancelled due to these restrictions not being met.
- Exceptional circumstances affecting the accompanying adult will not be taken into account for the junior version if discussing refunds or changing the date.
Additional Animal Experience Terms
Those that are taking part in animal encounters do not need to buy zoo admission tickets. Any accompanying guests that are not taking part in the experience need to purchase general admission, or have a valid membership.
Appropriate closed toe footwear must be worn for the experience or you may not be able to take part in your experience.
Additional terms for Junior Zookeeper experiences:
Please note that we can run the junior zookeeper for up the four participants. This may mean that on busy days you may be participating with other people. Exclusivity can be arranged at an additional fee, please contact us for more details.
Additional terms for Meet the Meerkats/Lemurs experiences:
Children: must each be at least 5 years of age and be accompanied by a spectating adult (subject to HCC admission fee).
Additional terms for Meet the Kinkajous, Porcupines and Marmoset VIP experiences:
Children: must each be at least 10 years of age and be accompanied by a spectating adult each, no more than 2 children at a time. Each adult must also have a valid admission ticket.
Additional terms for Crocodile Encounter experiences:
Participants must be of 16 years or older. If under 18, they must be accompanied by a spectating adult. Each adult mist also have a valid admission ticket.
Additional terms for South America Tour:
Minimum Age - 12
Crocodile Encounter - If the participant is below 16 years of age, entry to our crocodile enclosure is permitted, however feeding is prohibited.
Children: Must be accompanied by a spectating adult, no more than 2 children at a time. Each adult must also have a valid admission ticket.
Keeper Trail Quiz Competition
- Entry to this competition takes place at the Hemsley Conservation Centre.
- One entry per answer sheet.
- You can choose between the following 30 minute experiences - Meet the Lemurs/Porcupines/Meerkats
- Winners are chosen at random and contacted via email
- After winner has chosen what experience they would like, details on how to book will follow
- Our standard Experience Terms and Conditions apply.
- Those that are taking part in animal encounters do not need to buy zoo admission tickets. Any accompanying guests that are not taking part in the experience need to purchase general admission, or have a valid membership.
General Common terms
In these terms “HCC” refers to the organisation or organisations relevant to your transaction as specified in the specific terms relating to each transaction type (the “Specific Terms”). The word “Terms” refers to the Specific Terms together with these Common Terms.
Amendments to the Terms
The HCC reserves the right to make changes to its website, policies, and the Terms at any time. You will be subject to the policies and Terms in force at the time that you use the website and or you enter into any transaction with the HCC, unless any change to those policies or these Terms is required to be made by law or government authority (in which case it will apply to orders previously placed by you). If any of these Terms are deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that term will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining term and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and the remainder of the agreement shall continue in effect.
Events beyond the HCC's reasonable control
The HCC will not be held responsible for any delay or failure to comply with its obligations under these Terms if the delay or failure arises from any cause which is beyond its reasonable control. This term does not affect your statutory rights.
If you breach these Terms and the HCC takes no action, the HCC will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these Terms.
Warranty as to Age and Residential Status
You warrant that you are at least 18 years of age and possess the legal authority to enter into any transaction through the HCC website (including instructing us to collect any payments from a payment card or billing account) and to use the website in accordance with the Terms. You agree to be financially responsible for all transactions you undertake through your use of this website (as well as for use of your account by others). You also warrant that you are a resident of the United Kingdom.
Limitation of Liability
Other than liability for death or personal injury resulting from the HCC's negligence, the HCC, its employees and or agents shall not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, howsoever arising out of or in connection with the HCC's relationship with you to the extent permitted by law.
In the event that the above exclusion of liability is not effective, the HCC's maximum aggregate liability (save in respect of death or personal injury resulting from the HCC'S negligence) shall be the amount paid by the claimant to the HCC in respect of the transaction out of which the claim against the HCC arose.
This agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and the HCC in respect of the relevant transaction and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral, or written, between you and the HCC with respect to the transaction. A printed version of the Terms and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to the Terms to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.
Third Party Rights
None of the Terms shall be enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by a party other than you or the HCC.
These Terms are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with English Law, and any claim brought under the Terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. This website is directed to the United Kingdom and therefore certain terms and conditions may not be applicable to non United Kingdom nationals who access this website.